Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Benjamin Harrison's Home

Yay! I crossed another item off my list! I have been wanting to go do a lot of the touristy things in Indy since I moved. However, I was always too busy or would forget about it. So my list has been helping do so many new things! My parents were in town for my cousin's wedding and so we did a little sight seeing after my 5K. We went to President Benjamin Harrison's home. It was where he would campaign from during his election years.

The whole house was beautiful and our tour guide was awesome. He was very knowledgable and knew a lot of little side stories. One of the coolest things we saw was this Reginaphone. My parents have one of these in their home that has been passed down in the family for years. I had never seen one anywhere else! It's basically the first version of a record player.


The other cool thing that we saw there was this letter from Helen Keller to First Lady Harrison. Mrs Harrison got very sick and when the country found out, letters flooded in from all over. Some were saved and years later, the museum volunteers found this one. How amazing that at the time, Helen Keller wasn't famous and yet her letter was saved for us to see!


Me hanging out with Benji on the caboose of the train.


My mom and I in front of the home.



No comments: