Monday, October 18, 2010

5K!

One of the items on my list of 101 things to do in 1001 days was to run a 5K. Kristen Dadi and Amanda Carter had really inspired me to do this. So back in July, I picked the Community Health Network 5K. As it turned out, Amanda was going to be in Chicago for business until the Friday before the race. So I suggested that she take the Megabus down to Indy and then just fly home from there. I really didn't want to run this alone and it seemed like a perfect opportunity to do something together.

So we got up bright and early on Saturday morning (after the neighbors very graciously made us a pasta dinner the night before) and headed to Fort Harrison. It was FREEZING! We were so cold, but we sucked it up and headed in.


I really love when people make a big deal of hanging or displaying the American Flag. I thought this was pretty neat.

Here is us before the race. Some people were keeping warm and then shedding clothes right before each race started. Not me. I was too much of a whimp. I said, I'm running with this fleece on.

During the race, we ran most of it. We had some intervals with walking. It was a really pretty course through a neighborhood and then through the park. I felt pretty good the whole time. Don't get me wrong. If Amanda hadn't been there, I definitely would have walked the majority of the time. But we crossed the finish line running and high fiving each other. I did feel a little silly b/c as we were approaching the finish line, I couldn't help but smile. I'm not a runner AT ALL. Never have been, but it felt really good accomplishing a goal. And the neighbors said I looked super skinny after the race. :-)



Big thanks and shout out to Amanda for coming out to Indy and doing this with me. I really appreciated it and couldn't have done it without you!


No comments: