Thursday, August 19, 2010

Book Club

So I think I mentioned before that I joined an online book club and I'm supposed to post my answers to my blog so that others can read it. So, we are reading The Secret Lies of Cee Cee Wilkes. I've actually already read this book earlier this summer, but I'm following along b/c I think it will be interesting to see how others respond to this woman's story.

1. What was your first impression of Tim?
I thought he was very handsome and a very appealing guy. He seemed to be mysterious and unattainable in the beginning. I was happy for CeeCee when she snagged him.
2. If you were in CeeCee’s position, would you be willing to help your boyfriend in the way that she is willing to help Tim?
Um, no definitely not. I don't even cook breakfast for my boyfriend now so I doubt that I would help him break his sister out of jail. I also believe in the system that we have set in place. If his sister was in jail, it was probably for a reason. I do sympathize with Tim's emotions though.
3. Why do you think CeeCee is so eager to please Tim?
I think that the reason I do not go around breaking the law is because I grew up with two parents who taught me the difference between right and wrong. They pounded it into my head. Everytime I made a slight turn down the wrong road, they righted me. CeeCee didn't have that. I think she knew it was wrong, but didn't know how to look at the consequences. I think also that her need for someone to care about her and be in her life was so strong that she was willing to go to great lengths for that person.
4. Who do you think has it harder? Tim or CeeCee?
At this point in the book, I think Tim does. I can't imagine what its like to have a sister that is on death row. I've recently started watching all the seasons of Prison Break which is a show where a guy has a brother on death row. And the brother is innocent as well. It really shows you the emotions of these guys while they are in jail and what is like on your last day of life for you and for your family. I was almost in tears over this and it was only a TV show!
5. What character trait(s) about CeeCee stuck out the most to you in these first ten chapters?
I feel that she is a quiet person, calm, sensitive, almost soothing. Like you feel calm when you are around her. And very innocent. She is very naive and you can tell that by her relationship with her roommate and her views on sex and men.
6. Do you think CeeCee is as mature as she seems?
Quite the contrary. I moved out on my own at an early age as well. Although I was living on my own, working, and paying my bills, that didn't mean I was mature. In fact, it took many years for me to grow up and become the person I am today. I barely recognize the girl that I was 10 years ago. I think CeeCee is very immature, but not due to lack of trying. I believe it is her age and her situation that have forced her to be immature.

No comments: