Monday, March 7, 2011

2011 Indy Grand Prix

One of my goals for the next couple of years was to volunteer more and get more involved in the community. A while back, I joined the Indiana Sports Corporation's Volunteer list. I figured I could volunteer and possibly get to see some different sporting events. This weekend was the first time there was an event that I was free to work at. The 2011 Indy Grand Prix. I could see that it was a swimming event, but I had no clue what it meant. When I was signing up, I signed up for jobs like admissions, welcome committee, etc. The easy stuff. The one thing I didn't want to do: Timers.

I get an email a couple weeks later saying "Here are the dates and times we need you and here's what you will be doing: Timers" Ugh. I was so worried. But I thought hey, how bad can it be? What's the worst that will happen? Let me tell you what this meant. It meant that I had a front row seat to see some of our nation's greatest swimmers. Not that I knew who all of them were. Michael Phelps was there who I know of. Some of the girls, I recognized their names.

However, I met the new love of my life (sorry Chris). Ryan Lochte. I will definitely be watching some more swimming thanks to this guy.


He stood right next to me in a teeny weeny little lime green bikini that he wore for the first time. Haha. Super cute. And apparently he's very good. All joking aside, it was a really neat event to watch and get to participate in. I had fun timing, it was relatively easy and you can't beat the seats. I'm glad that I faced a fear and just did it. It turned out to be one of the best experiences and I can't wait to volunteer again.

No comments: